Are Corporations Evil?

To me, the title is sort of a silly question, something like asking "Are volcanoes evil?" Of course there is the important difference that corporations are a human creation, unlike volcanoes. There is also the possibility of regulating corporations, unlike volcanoes (at least so far).

In a couple of previous posts I have mentioned the influence of the energy industry on the debate over anthropogenic global warming. Naturally I don't expect, say, Lubos, to understand any subtle distinctions, but I was a bit disappointed that Wolfgang seemed believe that meant I equated Exxon with evil. OK, maybe I might have referred to some of our corporations with endearing terms like "The Evil Empire," but that's just a little joke. Corporations are supposed to make money for their stockholders, and it seems likely to me that most of Exxon's efforts were directed towards that end, so in that sense proper.

I'm not so happy about the new ways corporations have found to wield political power. The vast network of foundations, think tanks, and web sites funded by Exxon and others has become the most powerful force in American politics. Much of the time, the sources of their funding are undisclosed when they make policy pronouncements, and the press treats what by any reasonable standard should be called propaganda as legitimate scholarly input.

I don't want Exxon to be prevented from presenting its point of view in public debates, but I think it should be required to do so openly, in its own name, not through a shadowy network of false-flag organizations. I am for full disclosure of funding sources for any organization engaging in public debate.

In the interests of full disclosure, I will mention that my direct blog related expenditures are fully funded by income from my Exxon and Walmart stock holdings. ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anti-Libertarian: re-post

Uneasy Lies The Head

Book Review: Anaximander By Carlo Rovelli